Waffle / Sugar Cone Cornucopia

by sunshine on November 20, 2011

These make such a fun treat whether for it for adults or children!  You could make them for co-workers or a class party!

Waffle Cone Cornucopia

Materials Needed:
Small waffle cones
Chex mix with Reese’s pieces (or other desired candies)
Cellophane Paper
Ribbon
Directions
Bring 1-2 inches of water to boil in a pot and place a steamer basket on top.  Put 2 cones at a time in the steamer and steam for appoximately 90 seconds or until waffle cones have softened.  Remove from steamer and form into a cornucopia shape.  Use the end of a spoon or pen to curl up the end of the waffle cone.  Place on a cookie sheet to let cool.  Cool completely then fill with chex mix with Reese’s pieces candies (you can also use runts candies, Candy Corn, etc.)  Place in celephane paper and tie with a ribbon.

{ 35 comments… read them below or add one }

Kim March 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

This is so genius! Can't wait to share with my readers this Thanksgiving!

hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!

Kelly March 31, 2012 at 6:42 am

Ok, I just saw this on pinterest and had to comment. This is absolutely adorable! Totally doing this in the fall with my 3 year old and also my students at school. Thanks for such a great idea! -Kelly @ Semi Homemade Mom

Janet May 12, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Just saw this on Pinterest….. I am definitely going to try it. Might even dip the cone in chocolate! Everything is better with chocolate right?

Sue June 5, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I've made these before, but I love know how to make the sugar cone look more like a cornucopia. Thanks! However, I stuff mine with Trix cereal instead of m&m's.

Gayla July 6, 2012 at 4:49 pm

You could use gummy fruit (like gummy bears) instead of m & ms to illustrate what some of the things were that they carried in the Cornucopias.

Gabbriel July 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Really cute cant wait to try

Tawna August 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

Oo fill with cannoli filling and put tiny martizpan fruit in it

Kiki August 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Cannoli filling sounds awesome! Also would like to see what else you could come up with if the whole cone was soaked and pulled apart .

Denise August 24, 2012 at 11:21 am

This just couldn't get anymore perfect!! Planning on doing this for my Tuesday Coffee gals.

Wendy September 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Fill with runt candies…. All fruit shapes!

janet September 16, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Love this idea…a must for this fall!

Kerry September 21, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Cute! Thanks for sharing!

millie September 24, 2012 at 5:18 pm

I am doing this for my 3 year old grandson, pre school class for a thanksgiving treat, Thank you for the idea.

Naturessong September 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm

This is cute!! A good treat for the office.
X)

Ashley September 26, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Cute! Thanks for this nice idea!

mJH September 27, 2012 at 7:55 am

Just tried it last night! Great office treats! Thanks!_

joanne September 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Just love this . so cute !!

@jsanfordfamily September 30, 2012 at 9:23 am

I love this. So Adorable. It is my duty every year to make the place settings for family Thanksgiving and this year this is so IT!

Virginia October 5, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I am doing these for my Womens Fellowship at church and painting the rim of the cone with melted chocolate. Great November favor.

Dani October 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I am Totally doing for Fat Friday at work next month! So Smart!!

Urpal October 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm

tried a large cone in the microwave to see if that would work instead of putting in water. I put the large one in for about 25 sec. Works great.

Brandy October 29, 2012 at 10:35 am

Such a cute idea.

Wallis November 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I am definitely going to do this!

Kathi November 17, 2012 at 10:58 am

Going to make these for my 5 year old's Kindergarten class for Thanksgiving.

Sherri November 17, 2012 at 3:58 pm

The steamer basket is the way to go- I used sugar cones and it took the better part of 2 minutes. Do not get them wet. I used a pencil to poke them and check for pliability before I took them out. They are very hot and need to be shaped by an adult

Linda November 17, 2012 at 10:07 pm

So cute! Thanks for sharing. My grandkids would love these!

Michele Greer November 19, 2012 at 10:45 am

Awesome! I am sharing this on a "A HOMEMAKERS JOURNEY TALK RADIO SHOW" We are doing a Holiday Entertaining Show!

jen November 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I found the RUNTs candies to put into them and then of course the candy corn like pumpkins

Heather November 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm

So I made these the other day but I did not end up using the instructions you provided. I would like to know if anyone was able to get the cones to bend after steaming them with a vegetable steamer or using the microwave method. I could not get either of these methods to work. I finally took my dad's suggestion of using a boiling tea kettle to soften the tips. It worked wonderfully!! Even though they took forever.

Kelly November 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I found that soaking the tip in warm water does not work. Steaming them is the way to go, but I was steaming mine for 5-6 minutes before I could curl them at all. Be careful when steaming that the water isn’t touching the cones. They’ll absorb the water and look funny.
Other than that they were easy to make and look very festive!!!

Steph November 22, 2012 at 12:13 am

I just made these tonight! Since I couldn't find my steamer, I soaked the bottoms in water for about a minute and then microwaved for 20 seconds. I then rolled the end around a pencil. They look great! I used the waffle cones that are shaped more like traditional cones, not the rounded top.

Alicia November 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I used the Joy brand larger ice cream cones. It did NOT work. The hot water just made the cone way too soggy. The microwave slightly heated and made it flexible, but overall it was a soggy mess. Tried another with only microwave heat and still did not have much success. Cute idea, so hopefully someone will have some insights they can share to make this cute craft successful!

Stephanie November 19, 2013 at 8:26 am

I too (another Stephanie) just made these in preparation for this year (2013). I ran room temp water over the bottom half of the standard sized cone for just 10 seconds or so. Then immediately microwaved for 40 seconds, wrapped loosely in waxed paper and then paper towel over that – loosely like a burrito, on a paper plate. Immediately after removing the cone end was soft and bendable with a large magic marker pen. Then lay out to cool. Do them individually and they come out perfect! Can't wait to put them together with candied nuts and marzipan fruits.

Rosanna November 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

Stephanie's method as described above for 2013 worked very well for me, but the bottom half of the cones are slightly darker due to having been wet. I used Giant Eagle Sugar Cone Ice Cream Cones pictured here at &lt ;http://tinyurl.com/mrjot3o>. After removing each one from the microwave, I held the overlap at the bottom of the cone towards me and used the handle of a wooden spoon to curl it towards me.

Marilyn Prosser November 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I just finished making them and they are adorable. I love them can't wait to show my family.__Thank you