Another sweet for your sweetheart for this Valentine’s Day! I have always loved these cookies. The jam in the middle is my favorite part. Your sweetheart is bound to love these little peeking heart cookies!
Peeking Heart Cookies
Printable Version: Peeking Heart Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Filling – strawberry or seedless raspberry jam (or you can us any flavor jam you like : )
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and confectioners’ sugar. Beat in egg, vanilla and almond extract. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; blend into the butter mixture. Divide dough into thirds and shape into balls.
- Working with 1/3 of dough at a time, roll out dough into desired thickness on a lightly floured surface. For each heart sandwich cookie, cut out 2 3-inch hearts. Cut out the center of ONE of the 3-inch hearts with the 1 1/2-inch cutter.
- Place each piece separately on an ungreased cookie sheet, 1 – 2 inches apart. Bake in a preheated, 350 degrees F oven until lightly browned (7-8 minutes for 1/4 inch thick cookies). Cool completely on wire rack.
- Spread bottom cookie with about 1 tsp. jam. Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust the tops of the cookies that have the middle cutout with confectioners sugar. Place the cutout cookies on top of the jam-covered cookies.